Wednesday, March 14, 2018

How Was Your Day?


It’s a simple question, one you have been asked or asked yourself. My days are the same yesterday as they will be tomorrow. However, every now and again something happens to shake it up. Today was just one of those days.
About an hour before my alarm was to go off, I heard a whimper coming from our dog. Well, not exactly a whimper. It was more like a death howl. As if the love of her life had left, never to return. The next sound I heard was an odd scrapping noise. Once my sleep filled mind began to focus, I realized the scrapping was my loving spouse shoveling the driveway and cleaning the truck off for me. Willow, our wolfhound mix, feels the need to mourn her master’s disappearance even when she sees him just outside the window. This song of her people stirs Hazel, our cat, into persuading me into filling her breakfast bowl. She has the figure and waddle of a pot belly pig, but believes she is a Greek goddess, Aphrodite she is not. Ah, my chance to get back into bed; the alarm goes off. Three snoozes later, I’m up and moving.
I’ve discovered over my 40 some years commuting to work, some people really must have received their license in a Cracker Jack box. Today’s awarding winner is a woman who likes to be ahead of everyone. To avoid the slowing traffic at a construction site or the mounting potholes, she decided to drive on the sidewalk. When it snows in this area, people avoid the thruway and drive the mains. I get it. If you have ever been stranded on the highway during a blizzard, you just don’t take chances. Now the thruway is clear, but the mains are congested. Thank you Snow Miser for the shit show we call the morning commute today.
I’m not sure what I was thinking of this morning, I grabbed jeans which are about a size larger than I am now, but in my haste forgot my belt. Since the lot is about a half mile walk to the building I work in downtown, I begin to look like a 15 year old from the hood. As I approach my favorite coffee shop, I saw a man in front of me wearing his jeans in a manner making me think we are kindred spirits. He is having an animated conversation. I thought he was on a phone until I saw him shaking it in the air as if to make his point. It appears he is either talking to a ghost or an imaginary companion. Hashtag mentalhealthmatters.  No matter, I’m on a mission to keep my pants up and grab a cuppa. Not necessarily in that order. Coffee in hand, I decided it was a great idea to make a donation to Make a Wish and buy 5 burlap coffee bags to make rugs with. This will become a regrettable decision later.
Ten interviews, four cases written, and several return calls later, I called it a day. Half way to the parking lot, pants, burlap bags, tote, and purse slipping, my mind turned to my kindred spirit with the drooping drawers, wishing he and his imaginary friend were around to help with those damn bags.
A quick stop at the bank for a rousing game of “who’s on first” (don’t ask) I pull into the driveway vowing never to leave again….until tomorrow.
So, how was your day?

0 comments:

Post a Comment